Friday 26 May 2023

Make it Pop for Seize the Birthday

 


Hi everyone, it's time for a new challenge at Seize the Birthday and Ashwini wants us to make it pop!!


or, just play along with any card for a birthday.


Bonnie, is back and Lisa and Deepti are our party guests for this fortnight.
They, along with my team mates, have some wonderful inspiration for you, so I hope you can play along.

I need to stop watching youtube!!
I was inspired by this card by Channin.
(I am seriously lusting after that stamp and those colourful inkpads lol!!)

The only ink splotch stamp I seem to have is an old Stampin Up one, Gorgeous Grunge.
It's long retired and dated from around 2013 or 2014.

I also had to do some swatches of my random ink pads to see which colours would be bright enough.
(The only full sets I have are Lavinia, distress inks and oxides and I didn't think they'd work.)
So I ended up using some Stampin Up, Versacolor and Hero Hues inks with versamark ink and clear embossing powder.

Once the colours were stamped and embossed I blended over some black soot distress ink, then wiped any ink of the embossed areas.

The sentiment die was cut from white shimmer card, I think you can just see the sparkle.

I'm linking up to these challenges:


Allsorts, anything goes and congrats on the blogs 14th birthday, what a great milestone!


Krafty Chicks, all occasions


Supplies:
Stampin Up Gorgeous Grunge stamps; Crafts 4 U stitched rectangle die; MFT happy Birthday script die; various coloured inks, versamark ink and clear ep; black soot distress ink.

Thanks for visiting,
Cathy x





17 comments:

Pat said...

This is very similar to the Joseph's Coat technique and the colours of the splotches are so bright and stand out beautifully when you have added the black ink Cathy, and the white die cut sentiment contrasts perfectly..a wonderful card. x

Loll said...

I remember this technique ... it looks awesome with the rainbow of colours of your splotches. Fun birthday card Cathy!! xx

Mervi said...

Fabulous and striking card!
Thank you for sharing at Allsorts 14th Birthday Party;-))m

Heather said...

Oh gosh, Cathy, so fun - and I still love Gorgeous Grunge, too! What a fun take on this technique - the black addition really makes those colors pop! Thanks so much for playing at Retro Rubber!

Nancy said...

I can totally see where you were inspired even before I clicked on your link, I saw that card too. You have done a wonderful job! I never use clear embossing powder and I don't know why! Wonderful bright and happy card, Cathy! Thanks for inspiring me!

Vicki Dutcher said...

The white sure does pop off that colorful background! Well done

Lisa Elton said...

What a fun background, so bright and colorful! Terrific card, Cathy. So happy to be guesting with you and the team this week!

Barbara said...

Persistence prevailed on this card. Glad that you kept on trying. So many ways to do this challenge. I enjoyed seeing the card that you did. I took a peek at the one that inspired you and you nailed it.

Linda said...

Your white sentiment really pops on that beautiful, colorful background. Great card, Cathy.

Sarn said...

Well it certainly pops! 👍 good job! X

Bonnie said...

What an awesome background, Cathy! I LOVE those bright splats of color and how the black background makes them pop!

Ashwini Rao said...

Love the bright pops of color against the black background. I remember seeing the technique elsewhere as well, haven't had the chance to try it yet, though. Great card, Cathy!

Colleen said...

Cathy your background is so full of wonderful colors and the sentiment just pops with that bright background!

shirley-bee said...

Love how those bright colours pop from that black background, Cathy! Great idea to use a shimmery white sentiment for maximum pop contrast too.

JulieP said...

Wow! This most definitely fits the bill of Pop. Love that it's great as a gender neutral card as well. Very fun!

JoAnn said...

Love your colorful background and with the big bold white sentiment. It really pops. Great card Cathy.

Glenda J said...

This is so fun - I love your bold splotches. So striking with the black background and white sentiment. Fabulous card.