Friday 4 February 2022

Winter scene for CAS Christmas

 


Hi everyone, it's time for a new challenge at CAS Christmas and Christine has chosen a winter scene as the theme.


Our guest this month is Izzy and she and my team mates have some wonderful ideas to inspire you.
Making Christmas cards throughout the year is a great way to get your stash ready for December, so I hope to see you in the gallery.

I signed up for Heather Telford's winter wonderland course in January 2021 and I only recently had my first look at the videos and had a play!
 At least the content is always available which is great for slow pokes like me lol!

This background used distress inks painted onto watercolour paper with lots of water.
I spattered on some diluted white gouache paint to look like snow and then sprayed it with dazzling diamonds for some shimmer. Got a bit carried away with that I think!

Here's a closer look, although I don't think it's showing up too well in the pic.


I layered the black diecut tree over a white one and left some of the white exposed to look like snow.

I'm linking up to these challenges:

ABC Christmas, I've chosen A for anything goes Christmas.





Supplies:
Dies: Memory Box circle layers and star of wonder; Stampin Up winter wonderland; Crafts 4 U stitched rectangle.
Other: Watercolour paper; distress inks in peacock feathers, chipped sapphire and black soot; Glimmer mist dazzling diamonds spray; white gouache paint; Happy Little Stampers let it snow sentiment; silver ink and Wow superfine silver ep.

Thanks for visiting,
Cathy x

27 comments:

Cat Craig said...

The snowy tree makes the card. Beautiful.

Barb Ghig said...

Gorgeous card, Cathy! I love how you created your snowy sky and how you added all that lovely shimmer! Such a clever way to look like you added snow to the trees, too...I'll have to try that sometime!

Lee said...

Great card,love the spattered background.

roffeycreations said...

Really lovely background Cathy - Chritmas feels just around the corner again!!! I hope I get to see you this year Mxxx

Julia Aston said...

What a beautiful starry/snowy sky you created here Cathy - I love that branch reaching up towards the sky with edges of snow on it's edges! xx

Marcia Hill said...

Your nighttime sky turned out FABULOUS Cathy, and I'm loving the silhouetted snowy tree against it too! BEAUTIFUL card!! Hugs. :0)

JoAnn said...

Beautiful card Cathy. Your snowy background looks great and that snowy tree is the perfect accent for it.

Christine Alexander said...

Gorgeous scene Cathy, such beautiful watercolouring for your night sky. I think I need to do one of Heathers classes ♥

Colleen said...

Cathy, this is fabulous! Your tree is amazing with a white die behind it because it really does look like snow in all the right places!

Susan said...

You're not the only slowpoke with Heather's course - I signed up too but still haven't started it!! You got great results with you first play! Love the tones of blue in the sky with the lovely splatter and star!

Izzy Scrap said...

Absolutely gorgeous ! Your dark blue sky is just stunning with these beautiful blue shades and the white splatters. Love your silhouette tree too, the white die cut behind adds such a fabulous dimension. So happy to be guesting with you for this challenge. And thanks so much for sharing and for playing along at ATSM.

Lia said...

A beautiful card and I like the details of the tree!
Lia DT SoC

Brenda in IN said...

Oh my, this is so beautiful. A perfect snowy winter sky and the beautiful silver star is lovely. I love the way you did the tree with the shadow. The circle frame really shows it off.

Darlene said...

Absolutely gorgeous and love that snowy night sky! AWESOME! Thanks so much for joining in the fun at our Sisterhood of Crafters challenge! Good Luck and we hope you’ll come back often.

Darlene
SISTERHOOD OF CRAFTERS
DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS
P.S. This beauty would also fit our WINTER theme on our FOUR SEASONS CHALLENGE BLOG. I hope you'll come join us.

Linda said...

Cathy, a fantastic wintery scene. Love your DOX painted background and your snow covered tree.

Bonnie said...

A beautiful, peaceful scene, Cathy! Love that sky!

Papercraft Boutique said...

Gorgeous snowy night sky, Cathy! I love the colors, visual texture, and the perfect falling snow! And what a clever idea to create snow on the black silhouette tree! I use the off-set layering technique to add shadows, but I never thought of it to add snow! I'm so impressed! :-)
Hideko xx

nancy littrell said...

Gorgeous Winter night sky, Cathy! I love your added star splatter, snow and glimmer spray. Beautiful choice of Distress Inks for your beautiful sky. Wonderful framing for your CAS design. TFS your beauty, my friend. Love and Hugs..Nancy

Trina P. said...

A beautiful snowy scene, Cathy. Brilliant how you offset the tree diecuts to create the snowy tops! I can’t see the shimmer in the photo, but you can never go overboard with it, IMO. 😉 The sparkle must be gorgeous IRL.

Celeste Goff said...

Such a beautiful and serene scene you've created! Love it!

Zw@@n said...

Beautiful CAS card! Love it. Thank you for joining us at ABC Christmas Challenge. xx Wilma

FiestyCrafter (Tina) said...

Beautiful Christmas card, very striking. Thanks for joining us at MLCCB
Tina DT

Lynda said...

Very effective - love the dusky colours for the background. Thank you for joining us at ABC Christmas Challenge xx Lynda/Loopyloo DT

Julie S said...

Oooo...had to come by to say how much I love your card. Gorgeous!

Loll said...

Gorgeous card Cathy! LOVE your amazing sky ... so pretty! I signed up for the same course, but haven't even taken a look yet. Geesh! Us crafters need more time in the day!

Your design with the offset black tree with white snow is so creative and worked perfectly. Amazing work, my friend. xx

AlisonC said...

That is beautiful and I love the sky. I'm sure you will learn plenty from Heather Telford. Lucky you. x

Inkyfingers said...

You created such a beautiful sky on this lovely CAS design. I love how you layered the tree to really make it pop on the card too!
Thanks for sharing at ATSM.
Hugs
Carol x