Sunday 10 November 2013

Floral Fridge Magnet


Hi, it's finally raining here at last.
We need lots to fill up our water tanks so I hope it settles in for a while!

A work mate gave me some old 2012 calenders with small magnets on the back. I thought  I'd stick some flowers on them so we could put them on our filing cabinets at work!

I used the mini tattered floral dies and cut them out of watercolor paper. I coloured them with distress inks and shaped them using a paintbrush using a technique that I saw done by Amy Bowerman at Plucking Daisies. She has some fabulous tutorials on creating paper flowers.

I threaded 3 onto some florist wire and then wired up some leaves die cut from snippets of green card stock.  I twisted them all together and covered the wires with green florist tape.

The background is diecut using an Mpress nesting die and this is glued onto the calendar. It sticks to my filing cabinet at home, so it's not too heavy. I made another couple of flowers and will get some more magnets finished early this week.


I'm going to link up to the challenge at Crafting with Dragonflies where the theme is to create a flower embellishment.
Since I cut my leaves from snippets I'm visiting the playground at Pixie's Crafty Workshop.

Materials used: Sizzix Tim Holtz Mini Tattered flower die; Memory Box Tender Leaves die; distress ink; beads & florist wire & tape; Mpress nesting die.

Thanks for visiting :)

19 comments:

Sue - said...

Pretty flowers. What a good idea to pretty up the filing cabinets.

Jenny L said...

Hi Cathy,
what a super fridge magnet. Love your flower you have made. Great colour too.
Lots of love. Jenny L.

Unknown said...

Great card love the flower.Thank you for sharing with us at Crafting with Dragonflies on make your own flowers challenge. Hugs Tania (DT)xx

Paper Creations by Shirley said...

Great idea and very pretty !

Sue said...

Hi Cathy, your flowers are gorgeous! Lovely how you coloured and shaped them, beautiful. xx

Radhika said...

Cute flowers Cathy ..love the fridge magnet.. am gonna search for magnets to make these cute fridge magnets..thanks for sharing.. :)

Mary said...

That magnet will add pretty art to any refrigerator or filing cabinet. Nice job! Great way to re-use! About the rain....we are needing lots too. Right now it is warm enough for shorts... Since we get all our rain in the winter months, Mother Nature needs to crack open those clouds...

Darnell said...

Such super snippets use, Cathy! These will make your office so festive and beautiful!! Hugs, Darnell

rachel said...

these are such clever ideas Cathy - beautiful xx

Bonnie said...

What a lovely way to brighten up your office!

Sammy said...

Oh my goodness, such a beautiful flower! And my favourite colour too :-) Thank you for joining in at Crafting with Dragonflies.
Sammy-x

MaryH said...

This is just beautiful, and a genius idea to recycle the calendar magnets. You gave me a fab idea for when I have to do a project 'anything but a card', for DT assignments. Your magnet is really pretty with that lovely flower attached to it. Clever crafty YOU! TFS & Hugs

roffeycreations said...

Fabbo Cathy - look way better IRL I bet too as most things do... Mxx

Di said...

Oooh, how pretty Cathy! I bet they'll be appreciated in the office too - well done!

Hugs, Di xx

Elizabeth said...

Great snippet make, Cathy. Such a fab idea and the flower is gorgeous. Elizabeth xx

Loll said...

Really sweet Cathy. LOVE the purple and green together ... and love the dimension on your flowers - amazing! Loll xx

Susan Hogan said...

Fabulous colours and great tips here.

scrappymo! said...

This is a great idea to use up snippets and make the office look pretty! Wonderful flowers.

Karen Petitt said...

That's gorgeous Cathy - it really caught my eye over at the Playground, thank you for sharing how you made it xx