Saturday 27 April 2024

A CASE of a new to me technique - blackout embossing

 


Hi everyone, I've been watching lots of youtube videos during the school holidays, and finally had a go at one of the techniques.
 I think there are a few videos for the technique,
 but I was inspired by Michelle Short in this one, (who is showcasing the technique by Erum Tasneem).

I diecut the tag and embossed it so that the debossed side was ready for inking. I love the colours and used a few distress inks to recreate the look. 
I used Versafine onyx black to swipe over the card and you can see some of the texture from the linen pad.
I might try it with a foam pad and see if it's better...

I used a white paint pen to try and highlight the stamens, then used peacock feathers and cracked pistachio oxide inks to colour the edges of the base tag.

I'm linking up to some challenges:

Can You Handle the Pressure, anything goes with an embossing folder,
playing along with the optional twist of feminine.


Fab n Funky, embossing wet or dry.

Tic Tac Toe, I've gone with flowers free and diecuts on the diagonal


Krafty Chicks, all occasions


It's the first time I've used my new embossing folder so I'm visiting Darnell at her

Supplies:
MFT tag and pierced tag stax dies; Altenew whimsy motif 3D embossing folder; Distress inks in salvaged patina, peacock feathers, cracked pistachio, twisted citron and lucky clover; versafine onyx black ink; Creative Expressions hello die; hammered card base.

Thanks for visiting,
Cathy x

9 comments:

Lin said...

I love how this turned out, Cathy!

Pat said...

This technique gives a wonderfully dramatic look to the finished piece Cathy, and I love the Altenew embossing folder you used and the beautiful blues and greens stand out terrifically against the black over the top. x

Brenda in IN said...

I'm trying to get caught up commenting and this is just beautiful. I love the colors against the black. Thanks so much for sharing the video link.

JoAnn said...

Beautiful card Cathy and a great job with this technique. I have been wanting to try this technique also. Thanks for the inspiration.

Rachelle Oltean said...

What a gorgeous framed floral design! I love the dramatic color palette! Thanks for joining us at Krafty Chick Challenge this week!

Diane said...

Absolutely gorgeous!!
Thank you for joining our challenge at Can You Handle The Pressure!
Diane CYHTP Co-Owner
{Nellies Nest}
{Can You Handle The Pressure}

Buffy said...

Truly stunning work
Thank you for joining in with us at Fab’n’Funky challenges
Buffy (DT) x

Donna said...

I spotted your card over at Can You Handle the Pressure and wanted to tell you how beautiful it is. Thanks for the video link!

Vicky Hayes said...

Just stunning Cathy! Thank you for coming to play with us at Tic Tac Toe Challenge! Vicky x