Tuesday 5 May 2020

Friendly gecko!



Hi everyone, I hope you are safe and well.

It's time for a new challenge at CAS Stencil and Hilary has chosen the technique of layering stencils.


This is a new one for me, I love the look of colourful, textured work with lots of different stencils but struggle to pull it off lol!

 There are some great video tutorials on the blog and the DT have some wonderful cards to inspire you, so I hope you get the chance to play along.

This gecko is a metal Dreamweaver stencil and I paired it with a Tim Holtz layering stencil.

I stencilled the tiles with tumbled glass and weathered wood oxide inks and a makeup brush.
Next I taped the metal stencil in place and spread on some opaque texture paste, removed the stencil, then sprinkled on some Wow perissa embossing powder.

I got impatient and heated the powder with my heat gun before the paste was totally dry (this can make the texture paste bubble up, luckily the bubbles flattened out a bit!). This powder has multiple colours and gives a bit of texture too.

Here's a closer look:

I'm linking up to these challenges:

Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge, where it's anything goes.


I love geckos they are so soft and cute looking, and they make me smile, so I hope that fits the theme at  Happy Little Stampers CAS Challenge,



The Paper Players also has a smile theme.




Supplies:
Crafts R Us stitched rectangle die; Dreamweaver gecko and Tim Holtz tiles stencils; oxide inks; Ranger opaque texture paste; Wow perissa embossing powder; Paper Smooches sentiment sampler stamp; Versafine Clair ink & clear ep.

Thanks for visiting,
Cathy x

22 comments:

HilaryJane said...

I love this Cathy, that gecko is just stunning. I think the texture from the bubbles adds something special to the little creature xx

Viv said...

Loving this shiny Gecko Cathy - he's a wonderful colour! Like the brick background for him too! Lovely card! x

Pat said...

What a great idea to use the gecko stencil in that beautiful gold EP over the top of the blue background stencilling Cathy. I love it! x

Liz said...

Wonderful card, Cathy. The gecko is amazing. xx

Bonnie said...

Awesome texture with the gecko! He looks real in that first picture! Love the color of the stone background!

Christine Alexander said...

wonderful Geko, I will have to remember to use some EP with gell medium :)

Loll said...

Amazing design Cathy! I LOVE the stencil you've used for the background ... it's just a perfect grid for that gecko to climb!! And the embossing powder you used on the gecko is so cool ... love the different colours within the one powder. xx

Ina G said...

Loooooove the result you got with that gecko Cathy. Lovely stenciled background. Nice critters when they are outside. We have a few regulars that come to look for moths outside our bathroom window (which is quite large). Fun watching them wait anxiously and then pounce. Great technique - hope to play with this one this month.

Cat Craig said...

Oh this is so cool!!

Brenda in IN said...

This is so unique and I can just see that gecko running up the brick wall. Bubbling the texture paste gave the gecko bumpy skin like they normally have. Great card, Cathy.

Anita in France said...

This little gecko looks as though he's out for a stroll, Cathy ... love how you heated the EP to create texture on the paste ... it's positively touchable! Hugs, Anita :)

BożenA said...

WOW! An amazing card. I love the stencil tile and makeup brush, it's the perfect backdrop for this gecko. And the gecko itself is astonishing, I love how you gained additional dimension and texture on the surface of the gecko. This card is so different from most of your cards, Cathy :-) I love it
xx

Barb Ghig said...

Very cool card, Cathy! I think the bubbles on your Gecko are perfect for adding a realistic texture to your design! Love the tiles, too...it's exactly the surface he would be crawling along to reach his destination :) Fabulous take on this technique! Barb xx

Julia Aston said...

Your golden embossed gecko stancil looks wonderful climbing up your blue stenciling Cathy! Great texture on that embossing!

Linda said...

How cute is this little guy!! Great stencil layering, and I love the texture on the gecko xx

Trina P. said...

Beautiful with such fabulous dimension and texture. I thought the gecko was a stamp... so cool it’s a stencil! Heat embossing it makes it look like a metal embellishment.

Dotty Jo said...

Love your card! Jo x

Stef Perry said...

Your gecko is fantastic in copper and works perfectly atop the tile stenciling! Love that great Paper Smooches sentiment too! Thank you so much for sharing with us at The Paper Players this week!

Lindsey said...

This little textured gecko definitely makes me smile! And such a gorgeous job with the stencils. Thanks for joining us at Happy Little Stampers for the CAS Challenge!

Ann Schach said...

I love the textured, copper gecko, Cathy! He looks fabulous against the stenciled background. I LOVE the font on the sentiment. Thank you for sharing with The Paper Players!

Mac Mable said...

Wow to the embossing powder and I love the effect. Great technique of the layering of the stencils and a wonderful CAS card x.

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Ohhh Love it Cathy!! Brilliant design.
Thanks for sharing, and may God bless and keep you and all whom you love safe and well.
Prayer hugs, Shaz in Oz. X 7

{Wonderful Words of Life - Shaz in Oz}
{Calligraphy Cards - Shaz in Oz}